Sunday, May 31, 2020

Intonation Made Easy!

This lesson accompanies this YouTube video lesson.
Listen to this audio to practice the lesson.   Repeat after me in the blank spaces to develop your muscle memory.   Use this audio several times on different days.  Try recording yourself doing the audio so you can compare your intonation to mine.


Intonation

Statements and WH ?’s have falling intonation.  Rise in pitch on the primary phrase stress, and fall after that syllable.  If the primary phrase stress is on the last syllable, then you must rise and fall in the same syllable.  Stretch out that syllable, so you can divide it into two parts.
  1. Let’s go to the library.
  1. Let’s go to the show.
  1. Where’s the library?
  1. Where’s the show?
Yes-no ?’s, introductory words, unfinished thoughts and the first items in a list have rising intonation.  You must fall in pitch on the primary phrase stress before you can rise!  If the PPS is on the last word, and the last word is only one syllable (or the word stress falls on the last syllable of that word,) divide that syllable into two parts, lowering in pitch on the first part and rising on the second part.

 Yes-NO ?'s:


1. Do you like it?

2. Is that a fact?  (fa ect)

3. Did you read the mail?   (may yul)

4.  Can you swim?  (swi im)

5.  Is she a movie star?

Introductory Words:

1.  Actually, I don’t like it.

2.  She lost her ticket.  Therefore, she can't ride.  

3.  She paid for it.  However, she can't find it.  

Unfinished Thoughts:

1. I was going to call my boss, but I decided not to.
2. I didn't want to hurt his feelings or get anyone in trouble.
3. Despite my poor decision, I hope he'll forgive me.  

Lists:

1. I like carrots, broccoli, celery and corn.
2. Do you like carrots, broccoli, celery and corn?
3. Would you like coffee or tea?   (a choice questions, with only two items in the list.)






1 comment:

  1. I found it very helpful. The way you present before the learners is incrdadable. Hope more to come specially on intonation.

    ReplyDelete