Monday, March 9, 2020

American English Rhythm Practice: Do and Can Reductions

Rhythm Practice : Do and Can reductions
Find the audio tracks below!

            Do = də (if helping verb)

1. How do you know?
2. Why do you have to take my picture?
3. Where do you think you’re sleeping? 
4. What do you do if you want to look silly?  (Ava and giselle)
5. Do you want to go to the movies?
6. Wanna go to the movies?  (“Do you” omitted)- informal 
7. Do they fly?  Yes, they DO. (end of utterance)



Can = kin or kən

1. I can wait.
2. Do you think he can reach it?
3. Do you know where I can get a new smile?
4. Can he stand up straight?
5. Exception:  end of utterance: “I think I CAN.”  “Do what you can.”
6. When do the kids get to decide who can take their picture and who can’t?

7. You can distort your photo or do whatever you can do to make yourself look more interesting because you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment